- cost is $9 cash per player for ONE rated match game, $18 for TWO rated games (member only price); non-members of The Chess Refinery club will pay an extra $1 registration fee per game of the match
- standard time control is G/45;d5 (each game expected to last approx 1.5 hour); see alternate below
- if players agree they can opt to play a longer time control of G/75;d5 (although this would limit them to just the one game match)
- time is only allotted to run up to 2 games in one night; on an evening the first game will start at 7pm; second match game immediately after first one ends; this format allows for matched up pairs to play against one another twice, once as white, once as black if desired; you are not required to participate in both games if you do not wish to; please let the TD (tournament director) know in advance
- depending on availability of players, the goal is to pair you against an opponent within +/- 150 points of your rating (USCF says max 400 pt difference - for this club and this event we will limit it to 150 point difference)
- we cannot guarantee that there will be an opponent for you - we will do our best to match players up based on who shows up - alternatively, if two players agree, we will allow up to the 400 point rating difference for a match
- please REGISTER AT LEAST ONE HOUR IN ADVANCE OF MATCH TIME by sending a TEXT message to 281-698-0068 to indicate you want to compete on match night so we know who will be participating - this helps us and you to know the likelihood of being able to pair you against an opponent who is within 150 points of your rating
- you must have an established, non-provisional USCF rating to participate
- there are no cash prizes for this event - you are playing for bragging rights and the opportunity to play someone close to you in rating
To find out what ratings of players usually compete at this club, click on this link and view the various events we have ran.
You must be a current USCF member to play in these rated events.
Those interested in competing only against opponents of close playing strength (within 150 pts of your rating) - text us so we can add you to a list and help make that happen!